Wednesday, July 9, 2008

PRE-Potty Training!

Well, I realized I might need to amend the last post, so as not to be misleading...

Ian really is not developed enough to start full-fledged toilet training - and most importantly is not showing all of the "readiness" signs for such. For example, he is not going very long stretches with clean diapers (a sign that he is able to control his bladder). Nor is he always aware of soiled diapers.

We are just helping the process begin by naming his functions, and setting up opportunities for him to be successful if possible. He was urinating on the bathroom floor when the shower turned on anyway, so why not catch it in a toilet? :D He most definitely is developed enough to make associations with appropriate bathroom behavior!

I just wanted to throw a little "disclaimer" out if you will, to assure you - he's NOT getting punished for "accidents" (they aren't even accidents at this point, haha), nor are we considering this period of time the "goal" for getting rid of diapers. We won't be running to the toilet every time I think he might need to go...or camping out in the bathroom waiting on that moment...

Again, this is just a time to start explaining the process, and allow his "explorer" phase encompass other areas of "big person" living. He possesses the intellect, curiosity, and ability to imitate many things we are doing - and we're just adding toileting to the list!

My experience with kids has taught me to recognize the signs and also know processes to ease potty training in general. But more than all of this, both Matt and I have the patience to wait for when the time is right, and set the foundation for a successful transition from diapers! :)

No comments: