Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Everyone should run on base!

Ok, so usually these posts have to do with the kids...but this is "Gayler FAMILY Updates" after all! :)

This past week, I ran in the quarterly "5k Fun Run" on Parris Island. My first formal "race" after Ian and Zoe!

It feels so good to be running again, I truly had forgotten how good it feels to have feet pounding on the pavement! Yes, I am one of those crazy people that thinks running is FUN! (Even though the hard work to get to "fun" is sometimes challenging!).

I will be honest with you...I really wanted to quit in the first 10 minutes! It was so motivating at first to hear the formation behind me singing cadences. "Run, run...there's nothing to it!" Then...everyone else had passed me (this was a very small race on base). A white van passed me by, and I thought the pace van had even forsaken me! Then there was the fact that I was only one of two women out there (which was motivating until she passed me too, LOL). Just at the moment when I figured maybe I would walk some (I was still struggling to get my rhythm), the female recruits started running by me...with Drill Instructors urging them along.

The Drill Instructors have my eternal respect and admiration. To truly appreciate what they do, I know you have to walk in their shoes (or under the Smokey as it were), but I have had the opportunity to watch them for quite some time on base. DIs are a rare breed. They physically and mentally push the recruits in a way that no other person would be able to...by personal example. They run back and forth in a seemingly tireless pursuit of forming excellence in the group of young men or women they are training. The lessons they have to teach are learned through blood, sweat, and tears, and they push others on when they have even given up on themselves. I could continue with many words with the sacrifice, commitment, and dedication of these role models! But, my point is that their mere presence for me is inspirational and motivating!

At any rate, as I felt the urge to quit, the DIs were running by, shouting motivation at the recruits. Wow, just what I needed! At a moment when I felt especially inclined to drop pace (and perhaps turn around), a DI turned to briefly glance my direction and shout, "IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU STINK!" (not really at me, right? That was for the recruit!) and she used a different word, but I don't like to use it! But, oh how this brought a smile to my face and quickened my feet. So true, nobody can control my destiny but me...and if I'm going to let a little discomfort get in my way of success, it's not saying much of my character! Phillipians 4:13!

So, I finished the race still RUNNING. I may have been the very last one to cross the finish line, but I achieved my goal. One foot in front of the other!

My first ever 5k was completed 8 years ago, and I completed it in 31:30. As exciting as running again is, how much more exciting it is to know that I am even faster this time! My finish time today was 27:32.

I was rewarded with a second place overall trophy (female). I'll treasure this as a monument to dedicating myself and pushing myself. I can take it with pride because I know I pushed myself!

From 02.2010 - MISC

Isn't it great that the trophy is bigger than Zoe? And Matt must comment on it every time he passes it. :D

Thank you first and foremost to God, whose blessings make such an endeavor possible. He is my reason for everything, my All in All. And to Matt, who pushed me on every day before this. I can't even form the words to express the magnitude of his own personal example and motivation for me personally. Thank you second to Ian and Zoe...meeting me at the finish line today was amazing! And Ian informed me, "You did a BIIIIIG job running mommy. Biig job! You gotta 'rophy. Good job!" Can I cry now? LOL.

Thank you to all those who gave me daily support and encouragement.

Thanks to those who organized the race! Beaufort is an amazingly beautiful place to run!

Thank you to the DI who shouted the right words at the right moment. You all have my heartfelt gratitude for what you do EVERY DAY.

You see, running is bigger than any one person, that's why it's so amazing! Did I mention I think EVERYONE should do a run on base?! Some motivating stuff. Semper Fi!

This isn't the last you'll hear of my running news. Beaufort Twilight 8K here we come! :)

2 comments:

The Mommy said...

You ROCK Julie Gayler! Proud of you girl!

Julie said...

Thank you, Lisa!