Anyway, Beaufort Marina is a great first stop on a tour of Beaufort. You have a wonderful equation of water, boats, shops, and ample places to sit and view all of the above!
The day I visited with Erin was a wonderfully windy day. The movement across the marsh grass is mesmerizing to me. I wrote something once about love being like grass in the wind. You are rooted in the ground, but free to move to and fro with the undulations of emotion. There I go on a tangent. Every time I get near the water, it's very prone to happen. :)
My point is that we are so blessed to live in the beautiful city of Beaufort. Every turn provides a new marshland view! It's easy to see why the British wanted to set up a city here. Gorgeous.
Interestingly enough, I wasn't able to find much information on the Marina specifically (at least with a quick search), but Beaufort itself was chartered in 1711. It's value lies in its convenient natural harbor. Many interesting sea vessels find their way to Beaufort. A mini-cruise ship? We got it!
You can sit on one of many benches lining the water. There are also SWINGS. There must be at least 10 of them, although I didn't actually count. But, what on earth could be better than sitting on a swing and looking out at the water?
Well, maybe actually being out on the water. One day, I'll go out in a boat and view Beaufort from that perspective. This boat was quite tempting!

Beaufort is a highlight because of the city's great drive to preserve history. Many old shops that line the waterfront have history that extends years into the past. It is a weaving of past, present, and future that allures the traveller. There are many spots to sit and ponder what it was like in years past...

...or maybe a little shopping. Or, ice cream. We walked through on a Sunday afternoon, and while most cities still see a steady stream of business on this day, Beaufort all but closes down. I think it's kind of nice having a true day of rest. There's no lack of things to see, even on an off day. And, shopping when the stores are closed is cheaper too!
This is just a sampling of what's to be seen down at the Marina. The horse-drawn carriages have a little spot in the parking lot, and we often say hello to the horses. There's also a wonderful little park that allows a water view and places for the kids to play with old buoys and cargo netting.
I love to watch the sailboats on the weekends. Although Beaufort now has a major tourism appeal, it's growth was due to significant military impact. A subsequent visit to the museum on Parris Island revealed how many posts and battles were impacted through the city. I imagine the waters have seen many military vessels pass through on their way to conflicts near and far.
Last but not least, I'll share Zoe's opinion of the Marina. Definite "cheese" approval.
I'd say if you had the opportunity to spend a day, a few hours, or even a passing walk-through, you should visit Beaufort Marina! We'll continue to visit and experience this lovely oceanfront view. :)







No comments:
Post a Comment