Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Precious Moments

I often think about the fact that there are so many moments I would love to capture on my blog...and I never seem to have the time with which to do it. Of course, I can take comfort in knowing I am living my life and enjoying the time with my children. There certainly is not enough time to both experience life and chronicle it simultaneously (only the human brain is amazing enough to capture much of this as memories).

I know also there are moments of frustration as a parent that lead to new discoveries and growth in all of us. What should I write about on this blog? What moments do I want to be sure to capture in writing?

So, I think about my blog and it's purpose again...to update the family and friends, but also to leave behind a legacy for Ian & Zoe. After all, I wonder about my childhood from the perspective of my own parents. They remind me that I was a "good kid," and have certain memories, but I still wonder! I wish they kept a blog!

I hear stories from other parents as well...and they seem to be extremes: the AMAZING family vacation or the HORRIBLE tantrums, arguments, and challenges. Honestly, mostly I hear about the latter! What about the in between? What about the day to day mundane that make up who we are as a person? What about how wonderful your children are to you, and how much you enjoy them?

So, what are your musings? I'd love for you to share things you wonder about your childhood. I'd love to capture things that Ian & Zoe will be curious about later in their lives.

Mostly, I want to focus on the fleeting beautiful things in our daily lives. Tantrums, frustrations, and challenges are fleeting yet somehow permeate our brains in different ways. Those happy and uplifting moments sometimes get lost in history. A bad habit and tendency of human nature is to focus on negatives, and define our lives by our hardships. Really, it's what we find joy in that defines our character.

I can listen to someone complain for hours, and never understand them...but in an hour of play, the true heart of a person is exposed.

I'm digressing! The point of this post was the re-examine the reason for blogging and to gather feedback. What would you be interested in hearing about our lives? What memories from childhood do you wish you had, or had a more complete picture? These precious moments are ripe for the picking! :)

No comments: