I started the celebration by cleaning the floors and kitchen. Ian happily played at the kitchen table with books, a puzzle, and his imaginary friends (his hands). Zoe found the bin I have in the kitchen with activities to do at the table. All on her own, she opened the container and tried to get paper too! Can I say that this made me so happy to see her creating a masterpiece?! She is such an artista! :)



During nap time, we read the African tale, "Why Flies Buzz in People's Ears," and I was amazed at Ian's skills of story prediction. His imagination is wonderful! I love to read with that little bookworm.
Next, we headed outside for a "bug walk." The tall lawn grass was amazing for this adventure! Our garden also held an abundance of interesting species. But, this dragonfly was breathtaking...almost as big as my hand, and probably flying at Mach 3...Maybe he could fly a little lower and give Ian a much needed haircut? :)
We had the best bug discussion ever. Cats are not bugs. Cars are not bugs. God made bugs. Some bugs have wings, some crawl, and some bite you! Bugs are really a certain kind of insect, but we can call all creepy crawly things bugs. When we started discussing that some bugs were helpful to people and others were harmful, Ian suggested bug "jail." I like this idea, and think he's on to something.
Of course, out of all the bugs around, the ant will always be one of the most interesting to me. Ian definitely shared my enthusiasm. We spent many minutes bent over the ant hill, watching the activities:

The ants brought to mind a Bible verse, Proverbs 6:6, where Solomon basically says, "Look at the ant, you lazy bum, and think about how hard she works and learn something." (The actually terminology was "sluggard," but I know what he meant!). It's been a long time since I stared at ants, and I forgot that they never stop moving! Ian was definitely mesmerized. Ant TV...in full color (I know we can all agree the black and white version of ants marching is very poor programming indeed).
We came inside and watched some videos about bugs. One of them was about an ant hill that definitely put into perspective the industrious nature of ants. I know I have not shared outside links before, but you really should check this out. A group of scientists poured cement down the ant hill and then excavated the resulting mass: Ant Hill Excavation
Raiding the recycle bin, and tossing on some googly eyes for good measure, we also made our own bugs. We had so much fun playing with them. Ian is truly hilarious.
Finally, we sat on the bed and colored bugs of all kinds.
Ian looks at me with earnest eyes, "Mommy, I have an idea. I'll color ALL over the picture." He even recounted this information to Daddy when he got home. Matt asked him, "What did you draw?" Ian blinked, "Daddy, I colored ALL over the paper. Just like that."
Color selection was very elaborate. Bugs can be pink, but never blue.
I love the look of concentration. He is my precious boy, and I love going buggy with him! :)
P.S. Zoe was not left out of the fun entirely, but today I spent nap time focusing on some Mommy/Ian time. We ALL need a little personalized attention sometimes! :)
There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding wise: The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer; The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks; The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands; The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings' palaces. -Proverbs 30:24-27







No comments:
Post a Comment