Friday, July 20, 2007

Mommy questions...

Sitting here thinking about some decisions ahead, and I realize again that being a mom is scary and hard sometimes, and joyful and easy at others. For the benefit of those who are interested, there are a LOT of thoughts that run through your head in a day. And, there are all sorts of serious and/or difficult decisions and questions that NO ONE CAN ANSWER...except maybe you, time or God...

And there are even ridiculous questions, that really don't matter in the end. An adventure in the mind of mommy's questions...

-Is that bug bite from a poisonous bug or a harmless one?
-Was that mosquito carrying malaria?
-WHAT WILL THESE VACCINES DO TO MY CHILD?
-Is it time for a nap?
-Do I pick you up or let you cry?
-DO I LISTEN TO THE DR's ADVICE?
-What cute outfit do you wear today?
-You are sleeping so soundly...are you still breathing?
-Are you getting enough to eat?
-Are you eating too much?
-If something really traumatic were to happen, would I be able to save both of us?
-What would I do if I lost you?
-How can I make you happy?
-Did that silly face truly scare you?
-When do I know you're ready for the next stage of your life...(solid food, girlfriends...)?
-IS THAT NORMAL?
-Who can I trust to babysit you when friends and family aren't around?
-Will you develop autism?
-Should I let that person hold you, or is it still mommy time?
-Was that gas, or a real smile?
-What will your voice sound like when you can talk?
-Do you understand what I'm saying to you?
-Is there going to be enough money in savings to help you if we need to?
-What are you going to be when you grow up?
-WHAT IS NORMAL?
-Are we giving you a good enough understanding of your God?
-Who invents all these crazy baby gadgets?
-Who has money to buy all these crazy baby gadgets?
-WHAT IS THAT CRAZY BABY GADGET?
-Will you understand that daddy isn't leaving you, he's just doing his job?
-Can I teach you to love him, even when he isn't here?
-Are you going to accept Jesus or reject him?
-When are you going to go back to sleep?
-Does that hurt?
-Will you play music?
-How many times will you make mommy cry?
-What color will your hair be when you get older?
-Will you like your brothers and/or sisters if we have more children?
-Can you be any cuter? :)


-Am I a good mother?


Do I think these all the time? No! Is this an exhaustive list? No! :)

Being a mom is such an adventure...with so many questions, answered and unanswered. I am truly enjoying EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of being a mom, even the dirty diaper ones. Yes, even the dirty diaper ones! And, I look forward to all of the questions ahead. They aren't always easy, or even pleasant to think about, but it's all part of being a mom!

Besides, the questions already answered make me so much more excited...

-Will the love I have for you get me through the day and the difficult times?

Yes. God is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ian:

My daughter, Adrienne, has a mommy just like yours. Worry, and then realize the world is mostly ok, and then enjoy the day - or nap - whichever is possible at the moment. Adrienne tells me she doesn't remember much about being a baby, so your mommy and can probably do just about anything they want, and it will be just fine. That sound good to you?