Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spork of Doom!

We have had a very nice weekend...at least I think we did...I can't remember any of it right now! Yes, that is what we call pregnancy brain! (Of course, Matt says it really doesn't matter, but anyyyyway...) :D

Thursday night we had a bit of excitement. The idea was to go to the pool, wear him out, treat at Taco Bell, and crash at home! Then, introduce the next character of our drama...the SPORK OF DOOM! (Dun-dun-duhhhhh!)

From 02.2009 - MISC


As you can tell, the spork isn't in one piece...that's because Ian swallowed that part!

(Now, we have eaten at Taco Bell with him many times, and even used the sporks with no problem. Comparing with the extra ones we have at home, this one is indeed manufactured out of a more brittle plastic. Lesson learned: subject all plastic utensils to stress-testing before surrendering to the toddler!)

We were faced with the parental predicament of going to the emergency room or not...and decided since we are blessed with 100% ER coverage, we'd exercise the benefit. Especially since this was not exactly an innocent piece of plastic! (Sharp edges, aaah!)

As much as everyone knows I am irritated by doctors and hospitals, I don't have a single complaint about this visit. We were in and out within 30 minutes. Matt kept him occupied by walking him up and down the hallway in the stroller. When he was checked out the main concern was that it was stuck in his mouth. Matt and I know he would have been screaming if that was the case, but better to check! Indeed Ian managed to swallow the chunk without doing any damage in his mouth (praise God!). Next concern would be doing damage internally, but we were sent home with instructions to watch him carefully for any other symptoms. (Who knows where the spork is?!) "Ninety-nine percent of the time, these things pass."

Of course, we were a little concerned, but God gave us peace when we laid our burden on Him, and we actually finished the rest of our nightly plan! SLEEP!

The following morning, I was on diaper patrol. As Matt joked, I now have the campaign ribbon for diaper investigations... Let me just say, I was fine with not having that one!

At any rate, as you may have assumed, I found the bit of spork, and no harm done!

Well there you have it folks, another parental rite of passage down!

That night brought to mind the experience that my own parents had when I swallowed the turn key off an alarm clock. Unfortunately, they didn't get sent home. I had to stay in the hospital for observation. I'm very thankful everything worked out the way it did for us this time!

All I'm left thinking is thank you God for looking out for us once again! :)

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7

No comments: