Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ian and the New Baby

Simply hysterical. That's one way I can describe any of the conversations involving Ian and the topic of the new baby! I need to get the video camera handy for some of these exchanges, they are utterly priceless. But, he also says the most tender-hearted and beautiful things about this new life. As exciting as having another baby has been, hearing the words of big brother and his reaction have been even more so.

Some of you have heard the abbreviated version of this story, but I really wanted to write about the whole exchange. Of course, my immediate focus was on the hilarity of the moment, but the more I think about our conversation, I treasure what came after his unintentional humor even more.

The day we told him he was going to be a big brother again, his immediate reaction was, "Oh! A baby? Like in Mommy's belly, a baby?" Then, he immediately lost interest in the conversation (or so it appeared, we know now that he was silently processing).

Later, in the commissary shopping cart, in the midst of a throng of shoppers, he yanked my shirt nearly over my head and exclaimed, "Mommy! There's a baby in your tummy! I wanna see it!" I requested that the examination of my belly take place at home, because we just don't lift our shirts up in the store. :)

So...back at home, he reminded me, "Mommy, can I look at the baby in your belly now?"

"Yes."

He nearly jammed his face into my stomach, "I don't see a baby ANYWHERE."

"Well, Ian, the baby is teensy tiny, and on the INSIDE of my belly, so you can't see it right now."

He lifted the shirt higher, looked at my back, legs, and head, and continued to persist in his search. Not to be dissuaded, he finally announced after his cursory search, "No, get naked. I'll find the baby for you." Of course, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically. He corrected me, "It's not funny, Mommy. This is serious. I need to find the baby." (Can we thank Wonder Pets for that line?!).

"Ian, you won't be able to find the baby right now, it's INSIDE my tummy. We'll have to wait for the baby to grow bigger and bigger, and when the baby is ready, he or she will come out."

He surveyed my face, as if searching for the truth. Then, ceremoniously seated himself next to me, and rested his hands gingerly on my tummy. "Ok, Mommy, I'll wait riiiiiight here for the baby to come out." He heaved a little sigh, and had a look so genuinely precious, I almost cried instead of laughed!

"Oh, Punkin, we'll have to wait a very long time for the baby to come out. It takes a whole 10 months total for the baby to get big enough. And, we are only 1 month down. It will be a long while yet. Do you want me to let you know when we get closer?"

Turning to me and oozing sweetness (oh, is this really MY child?), he said, "Ok! I'm going to play with my toys now." Then, in a surprise continuation of our conversation, he stated, "And when the baby comes, I will share my toys and play with the baby. We'll play together, like this. And, I will hold her. Yep, I will hold her Mommy, because it's my little sister. I love her, too."

Oh, my moment of maternal bliss. It's compounded by knowing Ian really will treasure this sibling. We wondered with Zoe, how he would react, if he would be jealous...and all for naught. The two of them bonded so instantly and perfectly, it's still a daily wonder at the love between them. I know Ian has even more to give, he told me so. And, Ian has a sister, and thinks another is arriving, because when you have such perfect love for a sister, who needs a brother? He lives in a world where a sister is what he knows, loves, and wants again. Am I reading too much into this? No, I don't think so. Never do we give the little ones enough credit for having these things figured out!

Of course, Ian and the other not-so-baby (Zoe) have their moments of trial...all Zoe wants is to be just like her brother, and this involves taking his toys. We have our moments, days, and sometimes weeks of frustration, to be certain. Maybe you could argue that's not perfect, but I know it is part of the equation. Those irksome moments are never enough to draw away from the even more innumerable moments of joy between them...sitting next to each other reading books EVERY morning, Ian scooping up all of Zoe's tossed items from the high chair, handing each other things in the back seat across the car, staying up late at night "partying"...

I couldn't ask for more (ok, maybe another moment of peace at play time on some days)...yet, here comes another blessing!

It's an understatement to say that I can't wait to watch another bond grow and develop between my children. I've heard from Ian, and I look forward to watching Zoe as a big sister too. :)

2 comments:

Brandi said...

How Sweet!

Julie said...

Thank you. :) If I had to choose a big brother, I'd totally pick Ian! :D