Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where the Wild Things Roam...

Beaufort has been an amazingly beautiful place to live. Drives down the road are frequently met with the flight of an egret over the marshlands, deer running into the woods, and now...snapping turtles!

On our way home from picking up the car, we spotted this beauty crossing the street (very nimbly, I might add). Can you believe the neck isn't fully extended here?!


Matt got Ian out of the car at a safe distance to observe her (my best-educated guess from looking at the underside tail area, combined with subsequent research which I'll expound in a moment). Ian was transfixed and excited. How fun it is to observe a turtle crossing the street in front of your house!


After Ian was back inside, I walked out to get the pictures of the turtle, and found a well-intentioned neighbor trying to get it back to the water. Although I appreciate the thought (save the turtle from getting hit), I hope he didn't get bit again on the way. Once, the turtle spun around and nicked him! Knowing they definitely have amputation ability, I'm hoping they made it to the pond without further incident.

Ian wanted to know more about the turtle, so we spent some time looking online and at YouTube videos (they can actually be an amazing educational tool!). Here's some fun things we learned.

*Snapping turtles can live 30 years in the wild.
*Female turtles will roam great distances from the water to lay their eggs. Peak mating season is June-July.
*Snapping turtles are omnivores, and their diet includes not only smaller fish, but birds, reptiles and mammals!
*A snapping turtle can turn to bite as far back as the rear legs. The "safest" place to hold them is like a pizza...they can't bite under their bellies.
*Although research was a little less solid on this point, it seems they can stay underwater for at least an hour.
*Their shell becomes increasingly smooth as they age. Older turtles have a nearly smooth shell.
*Snapping turtles were once hunted for cooking into turtle soup.


Safe journeys, old girl. Hopefully you found yourself back to the pond down the street!

No comments: