Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Comfort Food and Home Remedies

Well...here I am posting in between bouts of nausea. I don't know if it's from the flu-like bug that's been running through the family or my morning sickness (or both?), but I'm very ready for it to pass! I've definitely reached my limit for tummy trouble, that's for sure.

The past few days have been a reminder of times in the past when we were sick and what helped in those times. I try to remember that one day this time will be a bad memory too!

I remember mom making toast with a light sprinkling of cinnamon, served with ginger ale. Or those steamy and wonderfully soggy poached eggs on toast. My Aunt Conni dropped eggs into Ramen noodles (which I am SO SLOW to have JUST learned contain MSG!). Matt always turns to chicken bullion in a measuring cup (YUCK). A newer collection of remedies we use includes marvelous herbal teas and crackers of various kinds.

I'm thankful for friends that have been there with the morning sickness (like Summer and Erin), to remind me...eat little and often, drink plenty of water, get some Preggy Pops (these essential-oil based lollipops really do help at times), and nibble on some toast.

There's surely a fine-line at times between "comfort food" and "home remedy," but I'm trying to expand my knowledge base of both. I know when the bug passes me at last (and with certainty), I will be back to status quo with all-day-sickness, and turning to both avenues for relief!

So, do you have any comfort foods or home remedies you use when you're sick? I'd love to hear them!

Being sick is no fun, but the love, support, and encouragement I feel through these times is a blessing and joy to my heart. :)

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. -Proverbs 17:22

2 comments:

Den Mother said...

I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. As one who experienced morning sickness daily for over half of my pregnancies you truly have my sympathies. With Morgan I threw up 1-4 times a day for 20 weeks and then 1-3 times a week till her birth. With Marshall it wasn't nearly as bad but I do have a hole in the garage from when I had to make a hasty exit from the car while backing up so that I wouldn't throw up in the car in front of Morgan. I found that what settled my stomach when I'm sick was vastly different than what settled my stomach pregnant. Pre-pregnancy I liked higher carb foods like rice, crackers, toast, noodle soup. Pregnant was a completely different story! Small, high protein meals did the trick for me but you have to find what works for you. I'm praying for you. I know how horrible it is to be sick in public or in front of the kids.

Julie said...

Thank you for those tips...you are so right, the key to it all was protein! I'm so thankful for the shared advice to help me keep searching for something that worked. I think/hope the worst is past now too, yay! :)