We went shopping Tuesday and I decided to follow through with an idea I had a month or so ago to get Ian used to the idea of a little baby brother or sister! Yes, it's early, but you never can start too soon with a toddler!
The idea was to get him a little baby doll (no I'm not trying to turn him into a little girl!) and start talking about how to touch a baby, and what they do, etc. So here we go down the dolly aisle, trying to find a baby doll suitable for a boy, lol.
Ok, and I must diverge from the original point of this post for a moment to ask, what happened to baby dolls?!?! There was a whole aisle of them...first off, all girls. I guess nobody wants a boy baby! Secondly, what on earth is up with all the fancy babies? There are babies that swim, babies that pee, babies that have a sensor and cry when you walk by unless you pick them up, and babies that can crawl...oh, and almost all of them are PINK! So, it took a moment to just find a regular baby doll! No frills! And, NO peeing! lol.
Back to Ian...we found a little "display model" dolly lying on a fancy changing table/dresser toy, and I handed the baby to him (see what he would think!). He looked at the baby very intently, turning it around in his hands. It almost seemed like he was pondering, "What on earth am I supposed to do with THIS?!" I casually remarked that I had a baby in my belly, and this was what his little baby brother or sister was going to look like. Then, he turned and looked from me to the doll and back again...paused a moment, almost staring the baby in the eye...and brought it to his lips and kissed it! To add to the cuteness factor, he even said, "I love you," afterward and kissed it again!
Of course, we got the baby!
In the car, he kissed the baby again, and carried on a one-sided conversation for almost 5 minutes! He jabbered away in the cutest little voice, I only wish I could have understood what he was saying! He put the baby up on his shoulder and patted its back, and stroked it and said, "Nice, nice, nice." He was just so sweet with that baby...for about 10 minutes, then he moved on to something else!
Since we got the baby he often carries it around, and points to body parts on the baby and himself. Overall, he's pretty gentle with it, and talks to it a lot. He definitely recognizes it's a little person (or looks like one anyway).
I think he's going to be the best big brother! He is so nurturing, warm, and sweet, and seeing it come out is truly wonderful. I just hope he is nice to the real baby and not just the fake one...after all the fake one doesn't get much of mommy's attention! :)
New Year, New Adventures
12 years ago







1 comment:
I would have gone with one of the frilly dolls that pee... You could teach Ian to change a diaper! This could come in handy when you and Matt call "Not it!!!" Then it is automatically Ian's turn to change the baby! Sweet!
Erica
Post a Comment