I think Old Sheldon Church is my new favorite place in Beaufort! As much as I think these photos capture the beauty and presence of this place, I don't think they do it justice. Some things look better in pictures, but this church is just somewhere you need to go! It's so beautifully tucked in amongst the oaks, and is so quiet and peaceful it makes me want to write poetry!
| From Blogger Pictures |
From a recent news story in the local paper:
Formally known as the Prince William Parish Church, the church was primarily funded by British loyalist William Bull and bordered his Sheldon Plantation Settlement, Rowland said. The cornerstone was laid in 1751 and the first service held in 1757, Rowland said.
It became the first temple-form Greek revival building in the Western Hemisphere and signified the beginning of Greek revival architecture, he said. Many courthouses, libraries, college buildings and other structures were built in that style.
"It's ironic because the Bull family were huge loyalists ... yet the type of architecture that they brought to America became a symbol of American democracy," he said.
The British burned the church during the Revolutionary War. It was rebuilt from its remains in 1826 but met a similar fate in 1865, when Gen. William T. Sherman's troops set it on fire during the Civil War.
Today, the weathered yet formidable brick ruins look like "they're growing up out of the ground," said Mahaffey.
(Read more: http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/04/09/1202080/quintessentially-lowcountry-old.html#ixzz0lVUxwDgZ)
A few weeks ago, I did a photo shoot with a friend at the church. It was such a serene and thought-provoking place, I would have enjoyed just sitting there to think all day. To see the texture of the worn columns and walls, and to imagine Beaufort long ago was a mental journey well worth the little drive down the road! Can you imagine plantation owners in their finest hoop skirts, and ties?
![]() |
| From Blogger Pictures |
| From Blogger Pictures |
![]() |
| From Blogger Pictures |
| From Blogger Pictures |
We attended the yearly church service that is held the second Sunday after Easter. As we parked across the street and walked toward the ruins, we heard beautiful music playing and drawing us closer.
| From Blogger Pictures |
Zoe was immediately transfixed to the instruments, and Ian started swaying and clapping his hands (to baroque music...he rocks it!).
| From 04.2010 - MISC |
The altar was prepared (and I read that they even used pieces from the 1700s that were found in the church, but didn't see them!).
| From 04.2010 - MISC |
Everyone brought their own blankets or chairs to sit on during the service. We had a beach towel, and had a "seat" towards the front, closest to the choir and musicians. It was an Episcopal service, so there was a lot of standing up and sitting down and responsive readings. I admit, I cannot imagine repeating such things every Sunday, but on this occasion, reading and responding was a beautiful and meaningful expression of worship. It was wonderful to hear the voices lifted together in praise and thanksgiving!
Ian even held his program and sang together with us in the first few hymns. It was very touching the way he made every effort at solemnity in his singing. I think being directly in front of the choir had him in the perfect position for emulating piety, LOL. Zoe tried to eat my program.
I am very proud of the kids. It was quite a long service, and boring after the first few readings and hymns. By the time the pastor was ready to speak, both kids were ready to walk off and explore. But, they were amused by snacks and odd things coming out of the diaper bag. I'm especially impressed with Zoe, who NEVER allows us to hold her for longer than 10 minutes it seems.
I think my favorite part was when Ian started talking with his friend next to him. I shushed him and whispered very quietly, "Ian, you need to be quiet, no talking," and he responded with the hoarsest and loudest whisper possible, "I AM BEING QUIET." After this, I just touched my lips. What a hypocrite speaking to tell him not to talk, LOL!
The pastor touched on words I desperately needed to hear this morning. I'm thankful for always being right where I need to be.
The services ended with "Taps" echoing across the site.
A woman behind us complimented the children on being the best behaved there. At times, I felt we were a disturbance, but I KNOW they were definitely well behaved for their age. They sat/stood right next to me for over an hour! I feel so blessed that my children can enjoy such life experiences with me.
I'll treasure Old Sheldon Church not only for the history it represents for Beaufort and times of old, but for it's own impression on our lives. :)
![]() |
| From 04.2010 - MISC |










1 comment:
Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.
- Johnson
Post a Comment