Monday, October 25, 2010

Boy or Girl?

So, there are only about 300 million different myths about how you can tell if it's a boy or a girl...

Carrying high? Girl. Carrying low? Boy. (Or is it the reverse?! I guess it depends who you ask!).

High and low heart rates, morning sickness or not...they could all provide a clue for the baby's gender! (One with a 50/50 chance of being right!).

And for the record, I have absolutely no idea. I know some moms just "know," and this is so fascinating to me! A few friends that did have a feeling were right! Wow! For a little bit, I thought maybe it was a girl, but that feeling has drifted away. It has left behind pleasant musings of what it would be like to have either another brother or a sister in our family. I wonder what it would be like to have such a powerful feeling of knowing this little person inside. I know they are starting to get more active...and we can easily feel little kicks and bumps on the outside around 9:30 every night! Whether they are feminine or masculine prods, I just couldn't say!

Which brings us to what we want...Matt of course, very set on having another boy. But, he called Zoe by the name Zachary for the first 5 months, and has now learned to just wait and see! I can totally see us having either, and I continue to pray for happy and healthy! I won't even guess, because I really have no idea! Do you?

I'm curious how many different things have been suggested as helpful in predicting gender. Specific cravings? Not being able to spell? A preference for the cool side of the pillow? If you have a moment, share what you've heard or make something up!

Oh, and while you're thinking about it...I posted a poll to the blog. Will the newest Gayler be a boy or a girl? :)

6 comments:

Darlene said...

My aunt always swore by the pencil theory. Take a needle & put a piece of thread through it. Then stick the needle in the top of the pencil eraser. Hold by the thread over the wrist. If the pencil goes around in a circle you're having a boy. If it goes back & forth you're having a girl. Also she said however many times it did this was how many kids a person was gonna have. It worked perfect for her. She had 4 boys. Worked right for me also. But I still call it a myth.....

Den Mother said...

For me, the old wives' tales were correct. I carried Morgan so high that there were days I had problems breathing and her heart rate was always on the high side of normal. Marshall was so low I often thought a foot was hanging out (he was a partial footling breech) and his heart rate was always 20-30 beats slower than his sister. Ironically, I felt from the beginning that Morgan was going to be a boy and Marshall was going to be a girl. So much for mother's intuition with that one =)

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I agree with position of carrying the baby high or low... my baby keeps making tracks up and down. Still not sure what to make of that. I have been told to use your wedding band on a string and place it over the tummy and if it swings in a circle it's a boy and straight back and forth a girl. My prediction will be when Matt comes out of the delivery room with the news... but I am willing to place money on it being either a girl or a boy. So I win! Blessings, Tina Wells

Anonymous said...

We already know what I think and I will win the Potato Soup! :)

Unknown said...

we are going to do the same for #3 since we have one of each currently =) my hubs is not thrilled about it but oh well LOL!

i just knew, i had dreams before we found out about each one. and interestingly, my daughter asked to play with her 'baby brudder' a couple times before we found out. we never talked about a brother or sister to her at that time and no one else did that we know of! she was about 2 1/2 at the time.

Julie said...

Darlene & Tina...almost sounds like the same idea, LOL. So funny about those old tales!

Den Mother, that's too funny! I carried almost identically with Ian & Zoe so that isn't going to help...especially since this one seems to be a tad higher so far. They even had the same heart beat! I do find it pretty amusing that Zoe is totally a tomboy and tougher than brother at times...she was trying to make us think she was a boy?! :P

Tina...LOL! So true, it's one or the other!

Potato soup...yum. Everyone is a winner! :D

Stacy, that's too cute! I wonder if Ian's first reaction was right after all!? :)