Friday, October 29, 2010

The Right Kind of Salt and Light

So, this doesn't really have to do with any of the family in the usual, direct way. But as I was finishing a project tonight, I heard something so thought-provoking on the radio I had to share. Consider this a mental update? :)

And bear with me. I promise it's not a sermon. It's more of a sharing something that was something like a defibrillator (and yes, I had to look up how to spell that) to my self-image. It was shocking and jump-starting for my whole thought process.

I'm sure you have heard someone repeat the essence of Matthew 5:13-16. Jesus says we're the salt of the earth...the light of the world. Personally, the phrase has gotten a little worn out in my ears because of it's misuse...and overuse.

I know many people that say they are going to be a light to the world. That they are going to salt it and season it with their actions. They're going to (yawn) make the world a better place.

And, the guy on the radio said it so very powerfully. They definitely are light and salt.

Salt on a wound.

Glaring light that makes you cover your eyes and look the other way.

Oh yeah? Ouch.

I'm here to admit, I probably have been that salt and light before. And, if it's been towards you, I'm sorry.

Without bitterness towards what Jesus meant when He said that if we follow Him, we're to be salt and light...I really do want to make the world a better place. But I want to be one of those people that when I say it, it doesn't make you yawn, cringe, or look away. When I say it, I want you to know that I mean it! Not to be cheesy, or cliche. Who doesn't want to improve the world because of their existence exactly? I'm not special because of that.

Bottom line, it made me think about how I might come across at times. I'm just living life one step at a time, trying to be the right kind of salt and light...and being me. And, my faith is the deepest part of me.

I'm not here to rub you the wrong way with my "salt," or be obnoxious about my faith and blind you with the "light" I'm trying to share. Hopefully, you'll help hold me to that. And, the only way I know is if you tell me. Sometimes, I blink and miss the yawning. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

really wonderful post!