Here's what little baby looks like (approximately anyway). At 4 1/2 inches long, and 3 1/2 ounces, little avocado-sized baby is starting to get more noticeable with the little thumps and bumps in there!
Today was also my last appointment at Naval Hospital Beaufort. After much prayer and research, I'm so excited that paperwork has now been filed, and we have switched care to the Midwife Group and Birth Center in Savannah, Georgia.
For those of you that wondered why, read on and I'll try to summarize my thoughts somewhat cohesively!
God provided us with a wonderful experience both times...and most importantly, two healthy babies! However, there were certain aspects of pregnancy and labor that didn't flow as well as they could have.
When procedures were optional but suggested, I was belittled for choosing the option to not have the procedure. I was given drugs without being informed or giving consent, and the nurse refused to remove them when I was having a strong reaction to them. The staff was in "observational mode" during labor. They were there to offer drugs for pain, check my progress, and then disappeared behind the nurse's desk to watch my vital signs from afar.
After both labors, I was like a "freak show," and nurses and doctors were simply amazed I gave birth without an epidural. I didn't do it for praise or to earn some special "Mommy Labor Medal." (To be perfectly honest with you, I'm more afraid of the needle than pain). My labor was normal, and nothing worthy of praise or admiration. I certainly didn't do it without help (God literally delivered me, but that's another story for another time), just without drugs. It was NORMAL.
Let me reiterate that both of my births were a truly blessed experience. As much as I could have (with a few exceptions), I actually enjoyed my labor. I am incredibly thankful for Matt's help and support...he's irreplaceable in that function! And, God was WITH US both times, provided the right circumstances for His plan, and delivered to us two beautiful babies.
And, let me also say that I have nothing in the world against interventions when they are medically necessary. Pitocin, epidurals, continuous fetal monitoring, c-sections and more...these medical procedures all have their place. My personal preference is to avoid these interventions as part of a routine, and reserve them as a response to a medical condition or emergency that requires their use. In fact, I was a c-section baby, and that procedure saved my life. I'm thankful the technology is present for the cases that require it. Medicine is not something to be avoided, it's a tool to save lives. If this baby or I needs help, I will eagerly allow the life-saving procedure(s).
If medically, different approaches could be used to achieve the same result of a HEALTHY BABY & MOM...wouldn't you choose the environment that provided you with physical, mental, and spiritual support?
That's what the Birth Center represents to us...a place of care and support for this normal process of pregnancy and labor.
This doesn't mean it's the right choice for everyone. There are far too many different personalities, environments, doctors, and situations. Regardless of where the birth takes place (hospital, birth center, home, or car), I know there isn't a woman out there looking for a bad experience! All moms just want a healthy, happy baby! We all want the best, and for different people, this can take different forms based on risk factors, comfort level, and education.
I address all this because I don't want you, the reader, regardless of your own personal experience to think that I look down on anyone (or, the reverse, think more of others) because of their circumstances or choice of doctor! It's none of my business, and it's not about you...it's about my family! :)
The Naval Hospital gave me two nearly ideal normal birth scenarios, so why the change? I long to see a provider that addresses the nature of pregnancy and childbirth as a part of life to be celebrated. We want our choices to be supported, and not be a "special case" because we'd like to operate outside of routine. All of us want this to be a positive experience where the doctor can offer wisdom and medical expertise, and the family can make informed decisions.
I know that many papers and opinion pieces circulate about the "natural birth" movement. Many people suggest that more emphasis is being placed on the "experience" of natural labor over the "result" of a healthy baby. I can't speak for anyone but myself on this matter, and certainly can't engage in a lengthy scientific debate. But I will tell you right now the health of my baby comes first before any "experience" ever could!
We're not trading medical expertise for a desired labor experience. We're headed to a birth center with medical professionals that will help support our wishes for a normal, healthy delivery...and again, most importantly, a healthy baby!
Some of the elements of care at the Midwife Center will begin very soon and continue through birth:
-Expert, certified medical professional care. The midwifes all hold masters in nursing, and work in collaboration with OB/GYN physicians. They have over 60 years of experience combined, and the Birth Center has been open 23 1/2 years.
-A more personal and welcoming approach to our involvement in making informed choices for me and the baby.
-No routine medical interventions, only carefully planned and considered care based on our circumstances.
-Approaching pregnancy and childbirth as normal, and including the whole family.
-The ability to develop and talk about a birth plan, with the respect of the staff in our decisions.
-During labor, the support and assistance of staff in a personalized scenario.
-Rapid access to a hospital for further assistance if necessary.
-Encouraged freedom of movement during labor to aid pain management.
-The ability to stay with our baby after labor the entire time with all medical care taking place with us present.
-Continuous support of experience midwifes working with a physician to provide the best care for me and the baby.
-The attitude of respect for our role as parents and our decision-making for our family.
I'm excited that with the faith in God's amazing provision and care (because ultimately, He is the head physician), this entire birth, no matter what happens, will be a process to bring Him glory, and that we all can enjoy and treasure the new life entrusted in our care.
Just as before, I'm so excited about welcoming this baby into the world! I'm excited about birth! :)
If you want to learn more about the Birth Center's specific goals and approach, you can visit their website to learn more.







1 comment:
I'm happy for you. I know whatever decision you & Matt made you prayed about it first. Love you guys. Can't wait till you're back here....
Post a Comment