Friday, February 25, 2011

My Independent Spirit

From the first moments, you could just see in her little eyes that she was on a mission. I know a lot of people attribute this to having a big brother, but I know that it's in her heart.

-She is my strong-willed, powerhouse.
-She wants to figure it out by herself.
-She makes her own decisions in her own time.
-She is a little bundle of independent thinking, a true free spirit.

I had in my mind a vague time line for things. Zoe pushed the envelope every time.

-She walked at 9 months, despite literally no encouragement from me. (Don't get me wrong, I was not pushing her down or anything, but this was 100% Zoe's doing).
-She weaned herself completely, in one day, at 10 months. She never nursed again, and refused breast milk. She was done.
-She chose her thumb and her belly button for her comfort. She didn't need anyone or anything to provide that for her.
-She doesn't forget what she was doing...no matter how many distractions you put in her path.

So, why am I surprised that she suddenly decided she was done with the crib? This past week, every night she has crawled into Ian's bed and pulled the covers over herself. She has asked us, "My bed, sleep."

Last night, she climbed out a couple of times and hurt herself. I finally acquiesced to Daddy, who at times is so much more in tune with Zoe the planner. The crib rail came down.

I admit to you, I was terrified. You may have heard me say that Zoe was going to stay in her crib until she was 16. Do you know why? TWO MONTHS of the MOST DIFFICULT period for Matt and I as parents was involved to bed train Ian. It was awful. Truly. Awful. I had vowed to myself that Zoe would stay in the crib until 3, and then we might try the switch.

I had the link on Amazon ready...to order the crib tent. I told Matt, "If she wants her big girl bed, she has to stay in it. One time out of that bed, and I'm ordering the tent."

Eleven hours later.

Ok, it's the first night, and it's new. The true test would come at nap time. I hardly believe this is going to work.

Twenty minutes later.

Oh, my little Zoe girl! This may not last...I still can't help but be mentally preparing for you to become the jack-in-the-box your brother was.

But part of me really wants to believe in you and your little independent spirit...determined to grow up on me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOHOOOOO :)