Thursday, March 26, 2009

Button, button, he's got the button!

So there I was, taking a shower while Ian was peacefully watching his video. Looking at the clock, I figured I should probably hop out since the episode was probably ending. He'd come looking for me anyway. (Which usually involves pulling the shower curtain out and getting water EVERYWHERE!).

When I left him, he was watching Little Einsteins. I come back, and now Veggie Tales is up on the screen. Ian is jumping up and down squealing with delight behind the coffee table, "Tales! Tales!" and clapping his hands. I rub my eyes, pinch myself, walk back out of the room, and stare at the screen dumbfounded.

HE CHANGED THE DVD ALL BY HIMSELF!?!?!?!?!

Oh yes, he did. Now we're really in for it! I can't believe how smart he's getting!

Of course, since it's actually an XBOX we use as the DVD player, you can't get the movie to play unless you have the remote. I wonder how long it's going to take him to get THAT trick down? Not very long I'm sure. Mommy needs to get with the program and start thinking ahead of him again!!

Another example of his intelligence in action happened the day before yesterday. I'm sprawled out on the couch watching a show with Barb, and Ian really wants me to follow him into the kitchen. (To get another pop I'm sure). I told him that I'd get up in a minute, he'd have to wait. Not stymied in the least, he then grabs at my feet and pushes them onto the floor...THEN pulls my hand leaning backwards with all his might. I don't move. (Ian had to get his stubbornness from somewhere!). He stands there looking at me a minute, and heads directly over to the TV and very deliberately and with a flourish turns it off! Next he turns and looks at me and says, "UP!"

The tables have been turned!

This is such a humorous and humbling time - learning that my little baby is growing up even more into his own little person, and yes, is probably smarter than me already!

Yes, it's all fun and games until he starts pushing MY buttons more than the TV's! :)

1 comment:

The Postlethwaite Family said...

Too funny! Oh and believe me they do try to push your buttons at that age. What cute stories. I'm love to read them and giggle along with you. I was thinking we could meet half way the week of spring break if you are still free. That way, we don't have to drive 2 1/2 hours to see each other. It will be more like 1 1/4. Huh? Like my math skills! Let me know! :)