Monday, July 19, 2010

First Time with Play Doh

I was reading through old blog entries and noticed that around this age, Ian had his first experience with Play-Doh.

Zoe has actually been hinting at this for some time. She has suggested this subtly by taking the Play-Doh bag off the shelf every time she passes it and asking for it to be opened. Yesterday, I finally did...

When presented with the green globs, Zoe investigated in her normal manner. First, a tentative index finger hovered over the new substance. Poke, poke, poke. With her face in earnest concentration, she held her finger inches from it, as if waiting for it to jump up and attack her. Poke, poke, poke. Glancing over at Ian, it lost its dangerous edge. With a tiny bit of green on her fingertip, she raised it to her mouth...



Spitting it out with disgust, her eyes slowly lifted to mine. This wordless exchange did not leave me wondering what she was thinking. It was a rather loud message, "Mom, why would you give me such nasty, strange food!?"

Considering I did put her in the high chair for this experience, I guess it was the biggest set up I could manage! I picked up a chunk and started manipulating it into little balls of various sizes. I squeezed it tightly and smiled as she reached over at the pieces again. "It's fun, Zoe! I know it's not food, but it is sure fun for playing!" Skeptically, she eyed my crazy antics. Meanwhile, Ian was busily attempting to roll out lumps and make cookie cutter sharks.

I'm so thankful for Ian's influence! Often it appears that Zoe trusts him more than me!



Gradually, a smile appeared on her face as she discovered it was not a strange food, but a wonderful plaything. She seemed to enjoy pressing little shapes into the soft substance most of all.



I can't help myself either, working with clay (or Play-Doh!) always brings to mind "Margie's song," (The Potter's Hand).

Take me, Mould me, use me, fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hand
Call me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me
I give my life to the Potter's hand

-Darlene Zschech

It's so clear that Ian and Zoe were each lovingly created a beautiful masterpiece of individuality! Watching how their unique and remarkable spirits react to the world is truly a miraculous journey. I'm so blessed that joining in with Zoe, I was able to experience yet another first time with Play-Doh!

1 comment:

The Postlethwaite Family said...

Love the post. I love the Potter and I love to be in His hands.