Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ianish

Ian is constantly talking and inventively using language. He's definitely a talkative little guy, and cracks us up with not only his inquisitive nature and sense of humor, but his coined phrases. Here's some of his current verbal antics.

*Our current favorite twist is when he is not interested in doing something. "I can't want to!" and "Zoe can't want to!" We correct him to say, "I don't want to," but he puts repeated emphasis on "can't." I love how he tries to make his point!

*At the restaurant, he asked us, "Where did the cooker lady go?" I think it's great he used a known action to label someone. So smart!

*He insists on wearing his sunglasses upside-down. It really is fine with me, for all I know he's setting a new trend, but he makes a point to tell me that my glasses are, "Upside over."

*I have to roll my eyes at this one, but Matt has taught Ian a Marine Corps cadence. "What's that runnin' down your back? (Response) Juicy, juicy!" Ian chooses to repeat both sides himself at the most interesting moments, "Running down my back? Juicy, juicy."

*Very much the gentleman, he will let Zoe & I know how we look, "Oooh. You're pretty, Mommy. I like-a you dress," or "Zoe, pretty, pretty today." Then the exaggerated face, when he can't even help but laugh at himself, "Sooooooo cuuuuuuute!"

*Of course, I'm so proud when he informs us, "Daddy, you not funny." But it's certainly hard to hold back the chuckles when he says, "Don't laugh! I'm not funny, Mommy. I'm not funny, Daddy!"

*Very singular in purpose at times, Ian understands the concept of love in a unique way. We're only able to love one person at a time. Consider the following discussion:

(M)ommy: "I love you Ian."
(I)an: "I love you too, Mommy."
M: "I love you, Zoe."
I: "No, you love ME."
M: "I love BOTH of you, at the same time."
I:"I love Daddy."
M: "Right! Just like you love Daddy AND me!"
I: "No, just Daddy."
M: "Well, you can love Daddy and Mommy at the same time. We can love as many people as we want to give love to."
I: "Ok, I love you, Mommy."
M: "I love you too, Ian. And, I love Daddy and Zoe too."
I: "No, just Zoe! And, I love Daddy, not you."

I won't bore you with the rest of the conversation, but Ian insisted that I only could choose one person to love at a time. Then, the following day, he listed all of us, and said he loved ALL of us. His special emphasis on the word leads me to believe our conversation might have sunk in after a good night's sleep!

*I was hanging laundry on the line, and Matt was asking me about something from inside the house. We were sort of disagreeing in a very minor way. Ian was following the discussion as spectators might follow tennis, head going back and forth between us. Finally, he interrupted me mid-sentence, "Mom! Dad! Don't fight!" Oh yes, little ones are listening.

*When we spot another "A-rine" (Marine), Ian is careful to point out, "Look! There's one of Daddy's friends." I asked him how he knew they were friends. "A-rine!" Even the recruits are Matt's friends...hehehe.

*Ian is reading books to us, asking for, "My turn to read now," after we read it to him. I love his versions!

*If I hear the Wonder Pets theme song one more time...it seems almost unfortunate that with his developing verbal skills, he learns more and more of the lyrics!

Since Ian talks so much, this only scratches the surface, but I hope it gives a good idea of what Mr. Chatterbox is saying these days! :)

No comments: