Thursday, February 3, 2011

Seeing Him Everywhere

Last week, a certain moment had a verse came to mind, Deut. 11:18-19:
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up...
Mentally, I couldn't help but add, "...and when you go to Burger King."

Yes, you read that correctly. Sure it's fine to talk about Jesus on Sundays, or times when you're actually on a religious topic/environment. But, this is an all the time thing! I want Ian and Zoe to look back on their childhood and think of me as truthful and honest, not just another Christian hypocrite! I'm not out to convert my children...I want to live a life faithful to what I know to be true, so they can see it for themselves.

And I wonder, am I living it? Do they see it?

I continued to wonder...until one day last week, Matt took the kids to Burger King to give me a break. (Ha, talk about hypocritical, yes I know, not really healthy and I hate the whole idea of the place). He even got them a *gasp* kid's meal.

In it, was this little Jack Black figure advertising the "Gulliver's Travels" movie.

Without skipping a beat, Ian opened his prize and exclaimed,

"Daddy! It's Jesus! He died on the cross for me! He's my friend!"

He saw this little toy man, bound & "suffering"...and thought of...Jesus.

I wish I could take credit for this. But as Matt told me the story, I realized there's more to it than just our example. (Especially because we really could work on this area a lot more!).

It's in Ian's little heart now.

You have heard the verse about having "faith like a child"? I think this means seeing Him everywhere...even in a Burger King kid's meal. :)




And He said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:3