Wednesday, May 11, 2011

They Keep Me Honest

Just as I mentioned in my last post, certain aspects of having children are inspiring. They really make you think about our inner sources of inspiration and motivation.

But, some of those things come directly to my ears...I don't really have to read into, or think about very much.

Case in point: mess of books on the floor, waiting to be put away.


"Mom, what are you doing?" Ian eyed me as I pulled all of the books out of the box.

"I'm putting these books away on the shelf where they go," I informed him with a sigh.

"Oh. The movers brought them here for us?" (He asks this question almost EVERY time I'm unpacking a box and he takes interest).

"Yes. And, I'm unpacking them and putting them away. But, I'm going to take a break now, so I need you to leave this pile alone. Ok?" I crawled over to the couch and stretched out.

Ian jumped to his feet and grabbed my arm. "Oh no, Mom! You can't leave this right here! You need to get up and put it away FIRST, and thennnnn you can rest!"

I chuckled, "Well, Ian, sometimes you need to rest a minute and then get the energy to finish."

He very seriously eyed me, "Well, Mom, sometimes you just need to pick up and then you can energy."

Ugh! Really?! Truer words have never been spoken! Um, and I'll confess I had already walked away from that pile 3 or 4 times. Hehe.

(Fast forward a couple of hours).

Next case in point: special ice cream treat...a reward for Ian playing nicely while I took a rest, (earned this time, yay!) and for Zoe taking a nap.


I gave each of them a popsicle, and also one for myself. Many of you know, I am the ice cream eating champion. I enjoy ice cream most when I get brain freeze. :) I returned to the freezer for my second popsicle. (It only seems fair that when you eat twice as fast, you get twice as much?).

Zoe raised up one sticky little finger. "One. Jussss one."


(Insert sound of screeching brakes here).

"What did you say, Zoe?" I couldn't believe my ears.

Ian concentrated, and furrowed his brow a moment.


"She said, 'Just one,' Mom. She means you just get one for now, and more later," he ended with an ever so helpful intonation.

"YES!" Zoe smiled her broadest and cutest little smile. "One!"


I closed the freezer door. You know, they're right. Drat! Foiled again!

Maybe someone is thinking my kids are telling me what to do. But, I know they know that I'm the parent...and this respectful and direct counsel is very appreciated by me. (I don't look at it as my kids telling me what to do, but instead holding me accountable to a higher standard). They are the best accountability I have! They see me day in, and day out. They are going to keep me honest to something I think all of us hold close to our hearts: Let your actions speak louder than your words.

I'm completely fine with this arrangement.

(Until they begin charging me for their services!).

:)

No comments: