Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dobby

She ran around in circles in the kitchen...

"Dobby! Dobby! Dobby! Mommy! Want Dobby!"

I watched her increasing pace, raising voice, and frantic search for, "Dobby," with increasing humor...then worry. Was something wrong? Did she suddenly become crazy? I joined her in her hunt.

"Where is Dobby?" I pleaded with her.

She pointed everywhere in the kitchen. "DOBBY! Want DOBBY!" Then, she started crying.

Have I mentioned that I have never heard her say the word, "Dobby" or anything like it before? I walked circles around the kitchen pointing to everything in sight, in the search of the elusive Dobby. She grunted negatively at each item.

Finally, I did what any wise parent would do and gave up. Whatever or whoever "Dobby" was, it was just going to have to wait, because I certainly lacked the ability to figure it out.

Zoe cried for a moment, and plopped herself in the middle of the kitchen floor, thumb in her mouth. She glared at me unhappily. It was really quite funny. Sorry, Zoe.

Then I decided to proceed with my morning. It was cold, and I felt like a little pick-me-up...so I started some coffee. (Even decaf has a little caffeine! And no, it won't hurt the baby!). As I poured the grounds into the machine, Zoe ran over to me and started jumping up and down ecstatically. "DOBBBBBYYYYYY!" She smiled, clapped her hands, twirled in a circle, and bounced up and down again. "Dobby," she almost sighed the word in relief.

Coffee. November 3, 2010, my daughter randomly decided she wanted to start drinking coffee. I gave it to her black, for a taste. I figured a taste of some strong, black decaf would squelch her further interest in coffee.

She liked it. No, loved it. "Mmmm. Dobby. Thank you!"

About this time, Ian comes around the corner asking, "Mom! Can I have some tea, too?"

Maybe we need some more work on this whole vocabulary thing? Nah. Coffee, tea, Dobby...still makes for a pleasant morning wake-up (especially in the company of my favorite little people). :)

No comments: