Monday, November 8, 2010

More Surprises!

So, as soon as I was pregnant, I decided this baby's gender would be a surprise. After all, we found out with Ian and Zoe. It's fun to keep guessing for 9 months! And, I just had this beautiful moment pictured in my head (like on the T.V. shows) where the doctor delivers the baby and announces, "It's a...!" (Insert blissful sigh here).

But, as soon as I was pregnant, Matt had decided we were finding out again.

Matt is a PLANNER. (Notice the all CAPS). He HAD to know. There are many plans that need to be made now...how the kids' rooms will be divvied up, what the name will be, validation (since he insists it's a boy), and what color clothing should be brought to the hospital. To him, there was no other option. We could find out, and we would.

I let it go. He was pretty insistent, and I really didn't care that much. Or did I? Weeks after I agreed we'd find out, I was still telling people that we might keep it a surprise! Or, "Matt wants to find out, but I want a surprise." This just didn't make any sense. After a heart to heart with a wonderful friend, I decided to broach the topic again. I wasn't sold on the deal yet.

We had a wonderful talk about it. I learned more about Matt, and where his heart lies with this baby. I learned more about my own reasoning, and where my heart was, too. In the end, we came full circle...and fully embraced differing opinions of equal importance to ourselves. (This is the fancy way of saying we can discuss and debate endlessly a topic and think the other person is completely nuts...and still love each other for it).

This sounds helpful, doesn't it? Actually it was, really. Not that he agreed with my reasoning, but he conceded to let it be a surprise. (I have mentioned we knew with Ian and Zoe, right? This really helped my case, among other things).

Once I had achieved a moral victory and won the debate, I had the freedom to ponder. And doubt began to sink in...

I've talked with families that kept it a surprise. I've heard from dads that kept that knowledge a secret from everyone (even mom)! There are couples that found out, and didn't tell anyone else. Others really got creative in sharing the surprise. My favorite idea was writing the gender on a slip of paper in a sealed envelope and delivering it to the baker. They ice a cake with white frosting and blue or pink tinted cake inside. At the party, cake cutting reveals the surprise to everyone! How cute! What about the couples that tried to see who could last longer and stared at the sealed envelope waiting for one to break down? Oh, so many options...

With Ian and Zoe it was perfect. I didn't miss anything by knowing that labor's end would cumulate with my precious son or daughter. It didn't pain me to answer, "We're having a boy," or "We're having a girl," for 5 months before delivery. And I didn't love them any less or more for knowing. In fact, I enjoyed calling them by name and talking to them. I loved picking out little clothes for them to wear! Smiling with friends and family about the new little boy and girl was great! I can't imagine things any differently with them!

Every family has their own reasons that are right for them...and at one point in history, this bit of information wasn't even an option! Is it really that important? No, hardly! Besides, the whole conversation will go right out the window if it's not possible to tell...or if it ends up being the opposite. (Which won't matter either! We'll love the little bundle just as much!).

And all of these long-winded explanations bring us to tonight. Tonight is the last night before the big ultrasound...The last night it could be a surprise!

And, if it's possible to tell, we would like to know.

Why? Because I realized that I had built up in my own mind what this beautiful little moment of anticipation would be like. When really, seeing and knowing from the ultrasound didn't take away from the anticipation of meeting this little person at all (for me)!

And because for Daddy, knowing if it's a boy or a girl is exciting and the way he would like to share this wonderful journey of life!

So, surprise! Stay tuned for tomorrow for the equivalent of that one gift you get to open on Christmas Eve. It's your last chance to vote, too! (On the right sidebar). Boy or girl?

Even if we don't find out tomorrow for whatever reason, this is still one of the best surprises ever. :)

No comments: