I wanted to write this because of some things I have seen going on around me...
Because of insults that are flung at those that didn't vote.Because of the stigma that you must not care about our country or the people that have died for it, if you don't find yourself at the polls.Because if there are problems in our country, it must be since the person(s) that could have made a difference with a vote, didn't.Because you must be ignorant if you didn't vote.Because it's simply unAmerican not to vote.Because you just don't understand why anyone wouldn't vote.
There are very important reasons; I think you should vote.
Vote. As an American engaged in the processes of our country.Vote. To keep the people that represent your values moving forward.Vote. Because it's not only your right, but your privilege as an American.Vote. Your citizenship has been hard won, and with it your freedoms.VOTE.
Yet, I didn't vote this year, for my own carefully considered reasons. I'm not saying it to brag, it's not brag-worthy. I hope it doesn't encourage anyone else not to vote. I'm admitting this to be transparent, and avoid hypocrisy. Maybe not everyone has a good reason for not voting...including me. In fact, some are probably pretty "terrible." Would you consider this is your golden opportunity to teach?
Teach through...
Telling about your empowerment, involvement, and American pride.Explaining the process patiently.Suggesting how you're making a difference.Talking about the actual issues and candidates in a knowledgeable way.Being an example of enjoying and knowing that you took action...with a focus on the positives.
Maybe, you could encourage them to do differently by showing what a positive experience it is. You might draw in a crowd!
I have run across these people this year. THANK YOU. I'm thankful that they speak only in positive terms, and respect me as a fellow American for my own decision...even if they disagree.
Perhaps you will rise above the politics, and accept your fellow Americans on equal footing...whether they voted or not!
----------
Revision Note: I had to rewrite this post because I got a little negative. (Ok, a lot!) Politics is easily one of the most highly charged topics, isn't it? I revised my words, because I want to be part of the positives and light of the country. I want to see us as a people, as a nation, becoming more unified and encouraged. It starts with me and you, doesn't it? :)







2 comments:
Julie it doesn't bother me at all that you didn't vote. That is your business. And I think you're still American. I guess it doesn't bother me b/c I know what's in your heart. I'm gonna love ya no matter what...:)
Thanks, Darlene! :) You've been a great example of patriotism and being educated about the issues, too! I appreciate there are "regular people" that try to stay in the loop with what's going on! :)
Post a Comment