We did have some girl names picked out. Many of them rotated on and off the list, but the general "like" list usually contained:
PiperOf course, that's just for fun...because we know it's a boy now! None of those names quite fits...haha.
Ann
Ellie
Now, we've been going back through the list of boy names. To Matt's chagrin, our original list is full of scratch marks.
Liam - Sounds like Ian with an "L" in front of it.So, we're running through the name book again. The primary tactic we've employed to "test drive" names is just reading them out of the book. Mostly I read, and Matt responds. Here's a little sampling of how that discussion goes. For the record, neither of us have anything against any of the names, just not for us. So what we think as we consider them for our little boy doesn't necessarily mean we think it any time we hear the name in general! And, for simplicity's sake, I'm putting Matt's words in italics.
Connor - Seems like I know a ton of them now!
Benjamin - When you put the nickname in front of our last name, you get Ben-Gay(ler), which sounds like the smelly medicated ointment. This probably isn't a big deal, but I just can't shake the association! I smelled a lot of that stuff as it was Mom's fix to help my growing pains!
Alec?
Trebeck?
Louis?
Louis?
Who? How would you spell that anyway?
Maddox?
Maddox?
Great pitcher! Did you know that he had...(insert random sports statistic/rabbit trail here)?
No, ok. No thinking of a pitcher every time you call his name I guess.
Kyle?
Kyle?
NO WAY! SO mean to me in school! Plus, you said no to Kylie for a girl.
Well this is a boy name.
Eh.
Houston?
Houston?
That's a place, not a name.
Well it's also the name of a place.
He's a boy, not a place.
Bryce?
I don't like the "bry" sound.
Why not? It's just a sound, can't hurt you.
It hurts to say it.
That's just ridiculous.
The name is ridiculous.
You're ridiculous.
Marcus?
That's Ian's middle name!
So?
Uh, we already used it once, isn't there like some rule against that?
I like the name.
That's why we gave it to Ian.
Just kidding.
Miles?
I said I didn't like that name already.
Just checking.
Fernando?
(Poke).
What was that for?
Fernando? Really?
It's a perfectly good name.
Ian, Zoe & Fernando. Seriously, no.
I was just messing with you, stop poking me.
Then stop saying names like that.
Bernardo? (Snickering).
(Poke).
Hey! I said stop poking me!
Sounds like you only changed the first letter. Next.
Owen?
Yeah I kinda like that, you can add it to the list.
It's already on the list.
Oh. Well I like it.
Hopefully you got a laugh out of that. We certainly have had fun reverting to middle schoolers during much of the naming process. It's too bad that every other name Matt can associate with a celebrity of some sort. I think this has been more of an education in pop culture than choosing an actual name at times. But nonetheless, fun!
Speaking of fun...some of the websites are pretty entertaining. I highly recommend Baby Name Genie. Type in your last name and a gender, and "make a wish." Not only do you get a name, but some humorous narrative with it. (Obviously, we're lacking in that department).
At the bottom of their website, they have letters to the genie. I couldn't help but laugh at these.
Judith in WI:I really like the name Pickle. Can I have suggestions for a middle name? I am definitely naming my son Pickle, so only middle name suggestions please!Baby Name Genie:
I herby warn you that naming your baby boy Pickle would not be kosher. But since you are against canning it, I reluctantly offer you the middle name Dillon.
Jill in Holland:
I really REALLY like the name Arden Sophia for my daughter. But it seems me and my hubby are the only people that do. How do I convince my friends and family that we love this name and that it WILL suit our little girl? Many thanks in advance.
Baby Name Genie:
First acquire a spool of orange thread, four twisty ties, an empty soda can and two mints. Never mind. Actually, you and they are probably better off if you don't do anything to convince them. Simply name your baby girl what you desire.
Well, I'm off to bed, and will be thinking and praying for the perfect name. No rush, 5 more months! :)







3 comments:
You are too funny! I enjoyed that! What about the name Kent, Luke or Brett :)
You guys are crazy. Shane and I had some funny stories like that too. I really wanted to name Ally, Hannah. And shane was not letting her initials be HO. By the way one of the top 3 when we were thinking of boy names was Bryson and call by Bryce. I LOVE it!
Manda, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I admit it cracked me up to even write it out again! I like those names...I'll have to run through the list with them added. :)
Lisa, I'm glad it's not just us! LOL. Yeah, I really love the names Bryce and Bryson...too bad it hurts Matt to say it, haha. I can't imagine Chase by any other name...isn't that funny how that works!?
Post a Comment