There are two--ok, three phrases that I feel should be more carefully used.
1) "I hate ____."
Growing up, I literally remember using this word ONE time and really thinking I meant it. I love my mom for taking the time to explain how strong that word is, and why I should not just toss it around callously. (I did not necessarily have this same appreciation during those 20 minutes though, let me tell you!).
Hate IS a strong word. I really think it should be reserved for things that are absolutely abhorrent, with no exception or quantifiable good. That's just me. I tweak a little when I hear people talking about hating ice cream flavors, contestants on American Idol, or cucumbers on their salad...I instantaneously imagine these things with horns and a tail, burning in the abyss. (Oh I know, grilled cucumbers actually sounds interesting). But seriously, isn't that where hate goes?
2) ?
ACK! Would you believe I forgot one of my own pet peeves? It was in my mind as I was typing this...and then I forgot. I know this seems utterly ridiculous, but certain portions of my brain are being used by 3 miniature people. I'd know it if I heard it. Really. :)
3) " I can't ____."
YES, you can! Ok, listen...I know you are already coming up with clever exceptions to this statement. No you can't kiss your elbow, and even if you could, you won't turn into the opposite sex. I realize not everyone can be a successful politician. And, yes, I'm fully aware that you actually cannot become invisible at will.
But again seriously, too often we impose limitations on ourselves. I'll leave it at that...I've definitely been guilty, and continue to be guilty in certain areas...but I WILL strive not to let those words come out of my mouth! Or, if I say it, I'll attempt to immediately nullify the statement with a positive. :)
Anyway, as you might have guessed, #3 was today's "theme." If only I had one of those little counter thingies you hold in your hand to count how many times he said, "I can't..." today! (My hand would be pretty tired. Maybe not my best idea).
I really would love to pass on to my children the ability to see things with the, "I can do this" mentality. Doesn't every parent want their children to feel capable and empowered? ESPECIALLY WHEN I JUST WANT THEM TO LEAVE ME ALONE FOR TWO SECONDS AND JUST TRYYYYY TO DO IT! Oh, sorry for the yelling. :D
Today I felt like I was literally imposing myself upon a person bent on deciding everything was impossible...but I couldn't help but smile at how silly the thought was at times, and how much emotion he had vested into his apparent inability.
Here's what Ian "could not" do today.
"I can't play with Zoe...she is not talking to me right now, and we have to talk to play."
"I can't find my book...I can't look for anything because I am too tired."
"I can't eat peanut butter and jelly for lunch...it is not good for you today, only tomorrow."
"I can't sit in time out...that is not nice right now!"
"I can't pick up my toys...if I pick them up, there won't be a messy any more."
"I can't eat this goldfish...it has no face!"
And, the best one of the day (I think):
"Mom, I can't put my new underwear on. They are broken....My butt keeps falling out of them!"
The thing is, as silly as all this sounds to me...to God, all our "can'ts" sound just as ridiculous. YES, you can! :)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Philip. 4:13







No comments:
Post a Comment