I've held it together all day. My little baby girl turned one today! Now, as I sit here and listen to the quiet of the night, and think about blogging the day's celebrations, I'm weepy! My little baby girl is ONE!
It was such a wonderful day. When we woke up and gave tight birthday hugs, I told Ian, "Today is Zoe's birthday!" He smiled and gave her a hug and said, "Happy birthday, sister." While I was changing her diaper, he snuck out to the kitchen table and grabbed one of her still unwrapped presents. "Here sweetheart, happy birthday!" he said with the broadest smile! Totally unprompted and amazing moment!
We sang happy birthday to Zoe to many tunes and activities throughout the day. Ian truly enjoyed celebrating...and talked about making cupcakes all day long too!
When cake time rolled around (after opening presents...knowing the gooey mess would mean clean-up time!)...Zoe was transfixed on her cake as we sang to her. Matt pinched out the candle just before Zoe's quick little fingers got a first experience with fire. No hesitation, she stuck little fingers into the cake. Then, paused as she realized the icing was sticky. She was happily eating away when she suddenly realized her fingers were covered in green icing and was very unhappy. Ian came over to see what she was doing (and to sneak a taste), and Zoe calmed down. If brother wanted some, it must not be too bad. Zoe shared her little flower cake with Ian so graciously.
At the end, little girl was covered in green icing. Our little incredible hulk-ette.
I wish I could write more of her first year now...but my mind is lingering on such wonderful moments. I'm remembering most of all the feeling a year ago to this moment...when it was just Zoe and I in a hospital room, getting to know each other all over again. It's been such an amazing first year, and I'm so excited for all the year ahead will bring. :)
New Year, New Adventures
12 years ago







1 comment:
Love the pictures of the birthday girl and esp. the family shot. Happy 1st Birthday Zoe!
Post a Comment