Monday, March 1, 2010

A question for my church-going friends...

Matt and I are entering into a time of prayer and consideration about church. We've been waiting and praying for a while, and next Sunday we are visiting a different one. There is no perfect church, we're not looking for a perfect church...but we want to be where we can worship God enthusiastically, and GROW. (This is a very condensed list of everything the church would offer).

We're not leaving Shell Point right now, we are following where we are being led at this moment: to examine what church is all about, and redefine where we fit in and what we will give back to our church family.

So, a question for you...what traits should a church have? What makes a church your own?

I know there are different answers for many people, I really am curious how you define your church experience.

To those at Shell Point who will be reading this, please be in prayer for us as we follow where God is leading us. There are things we very much wish were different about SP, but we know God is working there. Although I have had to explain to some what our main obstacles are, it really isn't about anyone else...it is about our desire to get closer to God, and follow the little light in front of our feet.

I'm glad that God isn't confined to one building, He meets us just where we are when we worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. I'm also thankful He gave us others to share in our worship, admiration, and discipleship. I praise God for the journey He is giving us, and I know He will show us great things. :)

2 comments:

Den Mother said...

I couldn't help but respond to your blog. I have been at my current church for about 8 years now...a record for my short life. From the "member" side to now the "staff" side, I have seen a number of families come and go from our graces often times for the same reason. What I have come to learn, is that our God is one of seasons and while one church may be home now, He may call you to a new one for a new season of your life. For me it has been to experience worship in a new style. Once it was to hear His word in a new way. Another time it was to stretch my comfort level with my involvement in church. One of the biggest blessings in my life was to grow up in the military and experience church in so many different ways and cultures (always with a home life that kept Christ in the center). Every few months we had to church "shop" as a family and each time God had a lesson for me. Sometimes we become too comfortable where we are and stop to grow. It's like a potted plant whose roots are stunted because it's never placed in a larger pot to grow. It can be difficult to leave good friends and family in Christ behind but find comfort that He is guiding you somewhere. It may be to a new church home or it may be to experience some new things that will bring you right back to where you are but with a new plan for growth. I will be praying for you and Matt that the lamp to your path be brightened so that you know where you are supposed to be.

Sarah

Julie said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond! I meant to, thought I did, wasn't sure...oh yeah, I didn't. LOL.

Anyway, thank you for this wonderful insight. I like what you said about seasons of life!

Thank you again for sharing this, it's been very helpful to consider other points not only for why we're going but what we have to look forward to...growth in Him.

Keep praying for us! :)