Here's some of our current lessons about words.
Definitions are tricky business.
While I was fixing my hair this morning, Ian asked me what I was doing. "I'm fixing my hair, Ian." He tilted his head to the side and asked, "It broken, Mommy?"
"What's that?" cannot be answered with one word.
This question signals that I'm about to create an information data sheet for the item. I have learned an appropriate response to this question includes but is not limited to the following: name, color, size, origin, purpose, texture, temperature, and most importantly, ownership. Oh, and can he put it in his mouth?
"No," is an annoying word.
Zoe said, "No," for the first time today? :)
Pronunciation is relative to who is speaking.
It does not matter how many times we pronounce "pan," he looks us square in the eye and corrects us, "pon."
Demonstrate how to say, "everything," and you will still hear him repeat doggedly, "everTHANG," with a southern twang.
"God our Father," (surely, you have heard the term?), is indeed, "Onnna Father."
Working with him to pronounce the consonant "Z" sound is amusing. He told me flatly I was saying his sister's name incorrectly, "No, it's Sewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-ee." I tried to point out it's the same sound a bee makes. ZZZZZZZZZ. "No, Sewee is not a bee. She MY sister."
Well, there you have it...a little taste of our words these days. :)
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. -Psalm 19:14
New Year, New Adventures
12 years ago







1 comment:
LOVE it!! I love how our children can teach us so much. Sometimes, though, my son seems to think he knows EVERYTHING and feels it's his place to correct me on EVERYTHING! I have come up with a mantra in that situation, "Grace! Grace! Grace!" :0)
Post a Comment