Zoe accepted this by spinning around in circles yelling, "Party! Party! Party!" She then commenced running through the entire house yelling the same.
Ian was a little more skeptical. "A party?" he questioned me while slowly putting on his pajamas. "Yes, Ian. We're going to have a pajama party and stay up a little bit after dinner!" His eyes still lingered with doubt, "Really? A party?" I nodded and he rushed over to me, nearly knocking me down with excitement. "Oh Mom! I love you for that! Parties are fun!"
He walked out of the room, looking around expectantly for a party to pop out of the walls. "Mom, where is the party?"
"The party is here, Ian." I reminded him.
"Where? I don't see a party."
It's a good thing that dinner was first on the agenda. It gave me more thinking time of how I was going to make this party more convincing. I headed over to prepare the mashed potatoes.
"Mom," a still skeptical little boy tugged on the leg of my pajamas, "Potatoes are not for parties."
Think Julie, think!
"Well there are all sorts of parties and all sorts of food to eat at parties. Some parties, they eat cookies and cupcakes, and some they eat broccoli and soybeans. Oh. And potatoes."
Ha! I told him! Mash. Mash. Mash.
"Um. No, Mom. This is a FUN party."
I think to myself and laugh. "Fun? Who said anything about fun!? I just said it was a pajama party! Goodness, kids these days!"
"You're right, Ian! We're making FUN, PARTY potatoes!"
Why must children look so convinced when you have your very best ideas?!
"Mom, those don't look like party potatoes."
Ack! This kid is too smart for me. What do party potatoes look like, anyway? Sprinkles? No, would taste funny. Oooh. Food coloring! Isn't this great? I'm a big believer in limiting preservatives, dyes, and additives to food. Yet, let's put dye in the potatoes for this party! Woohoo! Oh well, I'll forgive myself this transgression until I stock up on some beet juice or something.
"They are going to be some fun party potatoes, just wait and see!"
Ian wolfed down those fun party potatoes. He said they were the best ones "every time" (which is currently his way of saying "forever").
Next, we watched a Muppets movie and ate popcorn. This was definitely more acceptable party fun in Ian's opinion! It was a great night, and I'm looking forward to more of them in the future! :)








1 comment:
This cracks me up! What a fun family evening =) I love nights like those.
Post a Comment