He laid in bed screaming and crying. I told him as soon as he was ready to get up, he had to calm down, STOP crying, change his attitude, and he could come out of his room.The screaming and crying continued...and then he added cries of, "Moooommmy!! Mommmyy!!!" to the mix. I reminded him that it was his choice when he was going to calm down, and he could come out and talk to me and I would help him.
I don't know how long he was in there crying. It probably wasn't as long as it felt. It's a big tug when your kids call for you, even when they are in trouble. I sat on the couch sorting keys (another item on the to-do list that I can sit down to do!)...and thinking woeful thoughts.
Why oh why Ian must you cry so much? Why can't I just have a day off from this? Ugh...
And then I switched trains of thought, because being frustrated wasn't helping too much (go figure). I've been reading this book...and realigning my mothering goals. I thought, in what way is this little blip in the radar actually a teaching moment in the bigger spiritual picture? I couldn't come up with anything! (Sorry.)
So, I thought...ok, clearly I'm the one who's having a problem here! LOL. I prayed for wisdom.
Completely unrelated to dealing with his crying fits (maybe), I sat and pondered the lesson in the tantrum for me.
How many times do we sit and cry out to God to fix our problems? GOD! HELP ME! GOD, make me better! Gooooooooooooooood! Can you hear me? Can I come out of my trouble now, will you fix this for me? Goooooodddd!!!!!
Suddenly, the crying stopped and I heard the pitter patter of little feet running up to me. He put his hands on my arm, and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Mommy for throwing a fit. I want to change my attitude now and no more crying." A quick embrace, and he was off running to his toys like nothing had happened. A few moments after that, and he even calmly asked for help with something he was having trouble with doing. I helped him with a smile on my face, happy to see that there was indeed a change of heart that had happened.
Of course in many ways it is oversimplifying things, but really....at times, isn't God just waiting for us to come out of our little room of misery, stop crying, and really come to Him with a changed heart?
Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. - James 4:8







1 comment:
I love this post! It coincides with some studying that I've been doing :)
Post a Comment