Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pregnancy Confessions

Yes, this pregnancy has been WONDERFUL, AMAZING, and far better than I could ever ask for! Definitely blessed in having no complications!

I have my tired, grouchy days (just like when I'm not pregnant!), days with little to no patience (maybe a little more than before), and a few extra aches and pains...but overall, no major complaints. As I have mentioned before, it's only recently (after a rough first trimester) that I really feel pregnant and encumbered.

But, as D-day draws near, I've got some confessions!

I confess I'm definitely ready to get my brain back. Want to laugh with me (again)? I popped my prenatal pill in my mouth and almost chewed it because I forgot I was taking a pill and not eating a snack. I tried to turn the light off in the bedroom by using the bathroom light switch. And, maybe the ultimate insult to my sensibilities...I scooted the keyboard around on the desk and wondered why the mouse pointer wasn't moving. OK, I may be less amusing with my brain back, but still, I would like it back!

Every pregnant woman gets a million questions about her growing belly. They range from vague musings to more personal topics. Sometimes, these questions are downright annoying! Yet, I confess I'm going to miss people's reactions to this pregnancy. Along with the typical, "How far along are you? Is it a boy or a girl? Are you excited?" for some reason I have noticed a lot more people asking me (when I'm running errands without kids), "Is this your first?" That stunned look when I announce it's my third is priceless!

You have partially experienced how much I love photos. And if nothing else, the fact that it's one of my chosen pursuits for a career should say something, right? I have seriously burned through some to-do lists recently, and this project is still staring at me from the paper. I confess, all of this pregnancy nesting, and this photographer still doesn't have pictures in all her picture frames!

A random list of more confessions...

-I think the water smells different in my 9th month than it did in months 4-8.

-Another "third time around" surprise...stretch marks. Really? Wasn't I already stretched out?

-I'm actually looking forward to picking up toys off the floor when I'm not pregnant. In the meantime, I have gotten really good with my feet!

-I will miss my maternity pants. Elastic waistbands may not be "cool" but they sure are comfortable!

I'll confess I'm not ready for labor. Even the third time around, I realize that you can never fully prepare for that. It hurts! I remember the point before, that...I CANNOT DO THIS ANYMORE point, when God heard my prayers and provided relief and literally delivered me. I remember focusing on just one contraction at a time... Truly, I loved my labors, and yes, even enjoyed them. I always reflect back on them as the most amazing and wonderful experiences (through the pain). But...

I am now upon the moment where I can think a little more about actually being in labor again, and I think I finally figured out why I don't feel "ready" yet. I confess I'm not quite ready to let go of this overall wonderful feeling of life growing inside of me, and trade it for the transition to life growing outside of me! Maybe as I get a little more uncomfortable, this will change? I'm so thankful for the support I will have at the birth center to have a normal delivery where pain is a part of the process...something to be respected, and actually used as a tool to help, but not feared.

Finally, I confess I'm so glad I'm not in charge and that I won't know when this baby is coming! I'm glad that I don't have to be prepared, and it will happen when it's meant to happen. This is a huge sense of relief for me! I can't imagine having an actual day to countdown to! I'll just hold back a little from my, "Bring it on!" just yet. And, I'll let you know when it hits me! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww.. it's exciting :) And moving the keyboard around and wondering why the cursor doesn't move is downright EPIC, yes I said it, EPIC :)