Friday, March 11, 2011

Lunch at Work

Someone said to me, "Admit it, Julie... you only had Zoe to torture Matt with his own likeness."

I will neither confirm or deny this statement, but I will share this afternoon's visit with Matt at work in abridged form.

"Hi honey! Surprise! We brought you lunch!" I walk out behind the cars in the parking lot as he emerges from the gym.

"Wow! Great timing, I was just about to see where you were," He looks less surprised than I had envisioned. It is impossible to truly take him off guard I think.

"HI DADDY! DADDY! DADDY! DADDY! WE BROUGHT YOU LUNCH DADDY! DADDY LOOK AT ME!" come blended shouts from the van.

(We enter his office and begin eating lunch...Chick-Fil-A...each kid has a meal).

Zoe wiggles around and has Matt rearranging some important things on his desk. She begins inhaling her chicken nuggets. Ian sits across the desk crying because he wanted a sandwich and not nuggets...

Matt and I attempt to ignore the drama. "Hey, honey, what have you been up to today?" he begins.

Zoe adjusts in his lap and spills fruit on the desk, her lap, his lap, and the floor.

Ian continues to cry. I shut the door.

Zoe reaches for her juice and squeezes the box too tight. Juice squirts out of the straw on the desk.

Ian continues to cry melodramatically. (It's the only way he knows how). Matt tells Ian that crying is not allowed at work and he has 3 seconds to stop or he has to go home. He stops crying.

Matt offers his hidden Girl Scout cookies to the kids if they finish their lunches...and retrieves them from the cabinet.

Zoe knocks chicken on the floor, steps on it, crunches it into the rug, and picks up some pieces and eats them.

Ian is "magically" in a good mood again, and munches away doing his "Ian" thing.

Matt returns to his desk chair, and Zoe mashes buttons on the computer keyboard. The blue screen of death appears and starts counting down to deleting the memory. (I couldn't make something this good up, it's 100% true).

Zoe squishes more food into Matt's uniform.

Everyone finishes eating enough of their meal to get a cookie. (Insert more crumbs here).

I sit half-asleep in my chair, and regret not bringing my new camera. It has video capability.

Matt smiles to himself. Recruits clean his office.

We drive home in a nearly clean van. I rarely let the kids eat in the van. :)

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Julie only this could happen to you..LOL
I can believe every word of it. I would have love to have been a fly on the wall just to watch this. I laughed reading it. I just love it..