Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Full Term"

Today marks 37 weeks...which means little brother is now considered "full term." Exciting!

So what does "full term" mean exactly?

Technically, "full-term" means little brother can make his appearance at any time now.
A baby that is past 37 weeks has more developed lungs, packed on more fat, and is in general more prepared for life outside of the womb. It's still anyone's guess as to when delivery will occur, but we've made it to the point at which having a birth at the birth center is an option!

"Full-term" means continued weekly check-ups until his birthday!
I had a check-up yesterday, and everything continues to look great! I'm measuring right on the money, and heard a beautiful strong little heartbeat! Little brother needs to turn just a little bit, so I'll be using some positioning techniques to encourage him. He is still head down, with his back on my left side, and little feet sticking out on the right. The idea is to get him rotated a little more with his back more towards the front.

To me, "full-term" marks another milestone worthy of pictures!
I'm thankful that Amanda took some pictures of the kids with me and the belly that won't be there for much longer! Yes, the kids were thrilled. NOT! Next group picture, there will be a little person in the "Little brother" shirt. WOW.

"Full-term" means everything is ready for Little Brother, and Zoe is starting to think about what being BIG SISTER is all about.
Zoe is asking about babies and role-playing with hers a bit more. She continues to smack my belly and smile at me saying, "Baby kick! Awwww!" Often, she asserts when talking about the baby, "I baby," with a coy smile. But, has been enjoying more and more the love and approval she's getting as we call her our, "Big girl" that sleeps in a big girl bed, and helps out more and more.

She's been exploring all of the baby things that are out. Her favorite item is the sling for the bathtub (it's kind of like a mesh bouncy seat). She wants to sit in it, or put her own babies in it.

Mostly, I have to remind her not to jump on me, as there's a baby inside my belly. I think she gets the idea, at least in words...because she'll jump and say, "Ready, set, go...baby!" or, "I jump baby." We're going to have to work on this. For now, this entails cuddling and rubbing my belly nicely during quiet moments.

"Full-term" means Ian remembers what the arrival of a sibling means...and that he gets to be a BIG BROTHER all over again!
Ian's reaction...oh where to begin? Of course he is older and wiser, and has been through this once before! I have no doubts that he knows exactly what is going on, and that the time is drawing near. We're going through a little bit of a crying phase again (he passes in and out of these with various life changes), and wants to be carried and held very often...or swaddled.

A few days ago, he found the baby we bought him when Zoe was born. It's been in the toy bin in his room for ages, so it really wasn't lost. He tosses it on the floor with the other toys he's not going to play with almost daily. So, I know without a doubt that he remembers, and has become reattached to it for a reason. It accompanies him everywhere, and he tenderly cares for it, pointing out to me that Little Brother is coming soon too. Oh, and this baby is also violent. He hits and has to get lots of spankings...ha.

Earlier yesterday, I was having a painful Braxton Hicks contraction, and positioned myself differently...he grabbed his friend Bella by the hand and jumping up and down said excitedly, "My baby is coming out! He's coming out now!"

Another funny moment from earlier in the week involved clothes. Within the space of 15 minutes, he ran into his room to change his shirt 3 times...saying each time, "Mom, I'm just going to go change into my other favorite shirt, OK?" He came out each time with a different "Big Brother" t-shirt. (He has 3 of them). He enthusiastically pointed out what it said, and reminded me that Little Brother is coming soon.

To Matt, "full-term" means it's time to remind Little Brother of Daddy's plans.
Matt has dates marked off on his calendar for when he'd like Little Brother to arrive. Ok, not literally...I don't think. There's this race on the 19th he really wants to do. Yeah, that date he definitely marked off! He has reminded Little Brother of this race several times. Daddy is convinced that his little boy will go along with all of his plans.

Speaking of plans, he's already decided he'll wear the same shirt he wore to meet Ian.

And, he has the same plan "to start them off right," by making an introduction to Uga right away.

Ian met Uga once he was swaddled and resting between both of us on the hospital bed.

Zoe met Uga before she was even an hour old.


I have not seen this little bulldog in AGES. I admit a surge of love and joy when I saw the little guy sitting on top of the birth bag and heard him say, "As soon as I found out you were pregnant, I hid him for when the time was right."

I'll get past my distaste for the Georgia craziness and have a moment to really soak up how Matt has planned for Little Brother...those first moments of meeting him...long before I ever pictured it.

"Full term" means nothing new to God!
The truth is, God has known about this baby's existence long before we did...and new little lives really make you ponder those origins. Most of all, I'm excited for what God has in store for him.

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. - Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

To sum it up, "full term" means we're all preparing in our own little ways for the newest life to join our family. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwww, kinda made me tear up! Can't wait to see pictures of the little guy and eventually meet him :)